1. (Undated Folder Sheet note) Jade pieces of this general type were found in Tomb 5 at Anyang 安陽, Henan 河南 province. See Zhongguo shehui kexueyuan kaogu yanjiusuo 中國社會科學院考古研究所, Yinxu Fu Hao mu 殷墟婦好墓 (Beijing: Wenwu chubanshe, 1980), pl. 225:3.
2. (Thomas Lawton, 1987) In Praise of Ancestors exhibition label text; moved to label field.
3. (Kelly Welch, September 21, 1993) Title/Subject changed from "Pendant (pei 佩)" to "Mask plaque." Format changed from "Pendant" to "Plaque."
4. (Jeffrey Smith per Keith Wilson, August 22, 2008) Jewelry and Ornament added as secondary classification.
5. (Najiba Choudhury per Keith Wilson, August 2, 2017) Tilte changed from "Mask plaque" to "Fitting in the form of a mask"; period one changed from "Shang dynasty" to "Late Shang dynasty"; period two added "Anyang period"; geography changed from "China" to "China, probably Henan province, Anyang"; date changed from "ca. 12th-11th century BCE" to "ca. 1300-1050 BCE"; medium changed from "Jade" to "Jade (nephrite)".
6. (Najiba Choudhury per Keith Wilson, July 25, 2018) Title changed from "Fitting in the form of a mask" to "Ornament in the form of a mask"; added Chinese translation by Jingmin Zhang; added the following description, "Triangular mask with cicada below; green. (Mostly calcified; nicks in edges and nicks and pits on back; old paper labels adhering to back.) The large, oval-shaped face is presented frontally, surmounted by a central symmetrical projection flanked by curving horns. A triangular pendant beneath the face is perforated, slightly off center. Pairs of incised lines define the facial features and the ornaments on the horns and triangular pendant."
7. (YinYing Chen per Keith Wilson, February 13, 2023)
Change title from "Ornament in the form of a mask" to "Ornament in the form of a mask (taotie)."
Change date from "ca. 1300-ca. 1050 BCE" to "ca. 1250-ca. 1050 BCE."
Change date from "公元前1300-1050年" to "公元前1250-1050年" in the translation field.
Usage conditions apply